Thursday, November 11, 2010

It's been awhile

since my last blog. It's hard trying to think of things to write about.
In my last blog I wrote about Happy and that she wasn't feeling well. I was hesitant about writing about her again because she didn't make it. I had moved her to a pen by herself and put her back on antibiotics. I called the vet to ask if there was anything else I could do for her.  I made the quick trip to the vets for a different bottle of medicine and came back to give her a shot. I went about the rest of the morning doing the weekend cleaning. When I stopped to check on her she seemed very distressed. I got her a bucket of warm water. I let her drink and then I sat with her stroking her head and chin. She seemed in more pain so I layed down next to her to comfort her and I began to cry. As I lay there she seemed to relax and breathe more easily and then she stopped. I was glad she was no longer in pain but sad she was gone. Happy has been layed to rest on the hill next to the grove of maples.

Happy leaves behind two beautiful daughters, Harmony and Heather and a few great milk records for a 4 year old.

This is one of the saddest things about farming losing one of your better animals long before they should go. It's part of the life that I have been given and I am Happy for it.

11 comments:

  1. Iam so sorry for your loss...it's heart breaking when we loose our animals that we love so much.I too have a grave yard for my pets each time I say a prayer for them and know they have gone on to greener pastures to rump among the flowers.You are a good man to love your girls so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend. I am so sorry to hear about Miss Happy. I too know about loosing your babies. My heart goes out to you. You gave her a wonderful name, and I know she made you a very happy pappa. I am glad you let us know about her. Maybe a pic of her for us to remember too.. When you feel like it. All my love and empathy.Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, John. That's got to be hard because I'm sure all the goats are like family pets, to some degree.

    At least she isn't suffering and has a great place to see the farm, from.

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose one of our best friends. I myself have an old Saint Bernard who is not doing well. So hard to send them to Rainbow Bridge. Hugs to you John and the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, it's the saddest, and perhaps the hardest, aspect of farming. Thankfully you do have Harmony and Heather to carry on her lineage. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for your loss,I had 1 this year.Ruby,she was a beautiful Nubian,covered in moonspots.We rescued her from an idiot,gave her 4 months of love and attention then she left for the big green brush pile.RIP Happy and Ruby.Take care John.....Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry Farmer John. We have lost four Golden Retrievers over the years so I know how heartbreaking it is to lose an animal you love. Take heart in knowing that her last moments were spent with you giving her love....Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about Happy. Did you ever find out what was wrong with her? Nice to know she gave you such love and now you have a bit her with her daughters Harmony and Heather. I recently lost one of my girls at the age of 14. It wasn't easy to make the decision since I had to make it alone but Charlie is in a better place. However I admit I still look for her around the house and probably will for many years to come. You and Jason have a wonderful weekend. Love your website!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry. It's so touching how you love your goats so much. I cried when I read this entry. I'm sending love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your sensitivity. Your animals are fortunate to have you. You are what farming should be.

    ReplyDelete